Many other events happen throughout the year to encourage more biking, walking, safer driving, and getting kids outside. Some of these are:
Community Bicycle Rides and Special Events: Each year elected officials in Palo Alto celebrate the bicycle by participating in events such as walk and bike days, new facility openings, dedications and in some cases bicycle rides throughout the City.
Girls on the Run is a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running. Our curricula address all aspects of girls' development - their physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well-being. Santa Clara is our local chapter.
- Operation Safe Passage Palo Alto police participate in Operation Safe Passage three times a year in order to increase the safety of students commuting to school
- National School Bus Safety Week (October)
- Child Passenger Safety Week (September) focusing on Booster Seat Use. Most parents stop using booster seats for their kids after kindergarten, but actually, most kids don't reach the 4'9" height until around 4th grade. This event is meant to educate our parent population, in hopes they will consider the importance of using booster seats for their kids throughout much of Elementary School. "Do it because you love them".
- Click-it or Ticket (May) encourages drivers to put on their seat-belts.
- Stop on Red Enforcement (August)